Thursday 24 May 2012

Keyboard Kapers

I want to keep one of my Speccys boxed and as original as possible, the other one however has no PSU, box etc. and was bought without any guarantee of working, so it's fair game for a project :). I have already ordered a large piece of proto board  after being inspired by seeing a rubber keyboard Speccy with it's keyboard membrane replaced with tactile key switches, so I think it's worth a go for the £10 it 'should' cost me.

Protoboard - £3.10:
And a 100 pack of these is about £5:













I want to preserve any original parts, so we will have to see how it goes so far as the overall 'feel' of the keyboard when typing. I'd like to be able to return it original condition if needs-be, so carving up the case lid or any of the key caps/plungers is not an option.

One idea I had was to add return springs (if I can source some) to the underside of the plungers to give the keyboard a bit more tactile feedback than just the bare switches but I need to measure the distances involved more carefully first, although the biggest headache I face is placing the switches in correct alignment with each individual key's plunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment