Thursday 24 May 2012

Regulation Issue

Got round to replacing the regulator in my project Speccy today with a RECOM R-785.0 DC-DC Converter. I couldn't get any pics of the actual replacement in progress owing to me not having 3rd or 4th arms, but it was straightforward and mercifully free from problems.
New DC-DC Converter in place.
If anything was going to go wrong then I have a few 7805's in my spares collection, so I took a pair of snips and cropped the leads of the old regulator, having first unbolted the heatsink from the mainboard. After binning the legless 7805, I warmed the joints holding it's remains one by one with my soldering iron and pulled the legs out with a pair of pliers, then cleared the holes with the solder sucker ready for the new component. 3 solder joints later the deed was done and I wiped the sweat from my brow, grabbed my PSU and gritted my teeth - Success!

Still no keyboard though... :)

I also performed this mod that I found on Sami Vehmaa's old site, it's meant to improve video quality by fixing some ghosting issues - on my (4A) Speccy it did nothing discernable. Perhaps I might perform the other video fix on his site at a later date and see if there are any notable gains from that.


No comments:

Post a Comment